Have you made your new year’s resolutions yet? If so, they likely include things like getting in shape, eating better, spending more time with your family, or learning a new hobby. But you can also make some practical resolutions that will keep your home running in top shape in 2021. When you make these appliance new year’s resolutions, you’re committing to maintaining them and getting the most out of them in the new year. Here are some resolution suggestions:
- Clean the Microwave Monthly. Yes, a dirty microwave is kind of gross. But did you know it can also be dangerous? If too much gunk gets coated on your fridge’s interior, it can actually cause sparks which can damage the appliance. Vow to clean it monthly (or whenever you have a food explosion). The clean-up is simple: just heat a bowl of water and dishwashing liquid for a minute, then gently wipe the inside of the appliance.
- Clean or Replace the Dryer Vent. If you let lint build up in your exterior dryer vent, it can hamper the effectiveness of the appliance and even lead to a fire. To clean the vent, unplug the dryer, disconnect the pipe, then use a vacuum hose to suck out the lint. Do this at least on a quarterly basis, and always clean the lint trap after every load of laundry.
- Clean the Oven. There’s a self-cleaning feature on your oven for a reason! If you haven’t used it and have allowed food to build up in the appliance, it could catch fire. It’s best to use this feature when the weather is mild and you can open windows as it can cause a bit of smoke.
- Clean out the Refrigerator. It’s very easy for things to get hidden in the fridge and start molding, rotting, or spoiling. Not only is an excess of spoiled food gross, but too much food packed into your fridge can affect its airflow and reduce its cooling functions. Resolve to take one day every week or two to clean out the fridge and toss anything that isn’t fresh.
- Wipe Off Dishwasher Gaskets. If you don’t clean your dishwasher gaskets, they can get coated with food particles and detergent. If the buildup continues, the door may not seal properly, leading to the need for a new dishwasher. Every week, make a resolution to simply wipe them down with a clean cloth to prolong your dishwasher’s life.
- Take Clothes Out of the Washing Machine When It’s Done. When you leave washed clothes in the machine too long, they begin to mildew and develop bacteria. This isn’t good for your machine (or your clothes). Make a resolution to get the clothes into the dryer within 10-20 minutes of the cycle ending.
We all want to feel great in 2021, and your appliances are no exception! When you resolve to take care of them with regular maintenance this year, you can prolong their lives and ensure they can keep doing their job.